Hospital visits and safety


"You do love them, right? Then ask questions" - The Baby Analyst



It's been a really long while people, and I'm glad to be back 😊😊😊. This post is long overdue, so I'll just dive right into it.

I had to take my Mum to the hospital a few weeks ago to run some tests. I remember having to sit with her during her consultation and paying just as much attention as she was (or even more) to the doctor. When he recommended a test, I would ask what it was called, what it was meant for, how it would be carried out, any side effects, etc. Same thing went for the pharmacists when she had to get her prescription. I needed to know the name of each drug, what it was for, and any possible side effects. You know how some hospitals in Nigeria just dispense drugs in that little plastic ziploc with no name sometimes...so my questions were very necessary I tell you. Lol. 
At that moment, I thought about kids and hospital visits and how parents and caregivers manage.

Taking our little ones to the hospital is inevitable. It could be for the very important immunisation shots to regular visits for check ups, or even emergencies. Whatever the case, we have to make hospital visits every now and then. 
So how do we manage to stay on top of things during these visits?  

I notice that we don't tend to ask a lot of questions in this part of the world, maybe because of our culture (thankfully, that is changing). And we unfortunately take this into other very delicate areas of our lives. 

A friend of mine visited the hospital with her under 12 months old daughter sometime ago. Unfortunately, they carried out a test on her which they were not supposed to. The test was invasive, and I'd have been a bit wary about letting them carry it out on a toddler. The hospital later apologised for their negligence, but the child was already in pain then. Her mum later confessed that she should have asked more questions before letting them do anything.

This is one of many stories I have heard about taking children to the hospital. So I did a bit more research and came up with a few things to be careful about when we visit the hospital. There are quite a number of things, but I will try not to overwhelm you with 'dos and don'ts' and just keep it very simple. 

1. Please ask, ask, and ask questions. It might get tiring, but you really want to understand what is being done to your child. It will also help you to find out what kind of things your child might not react well to and help the hospital staff better cater to your child now or in the future. I noticed from one of my hospital visits that I react to a certain drug, so I am always quick to state it whenever any prescription is being made.

2. Take notes as much as you can. I started going to this new salon, and took notes when the hair stylists was giving me the dos and don'ts about caring for my hair. How much more the life and well-being of our kids. Take notes so you can always refer to them if you forget. Please don't assume you will remember, just write it down. 

3. Be calm. I imagine that just the thought of going to a hospital is 'stressful or worrying enough, then getting to see the doctor put on their serious very look and mention some random names you've never heard about before. However, remember that a situation may become more stressful based on your reaction to it.

4. While collecting prescription, please ensure the drugs are properly labelled and with their doses. Also ask questions about side effects of medication or read up a bit about the drug your child is taking, so you will know how to act if your child exhibits any strange behaviour which may be a symptom of the medication. One thing I notice here in Nigeria is that some doctors (at least I have seen) don't really tell you the side effects of drugs they prescribe. I've been a victim one too many times. Now I ensure to ask questions about what potential side effects a drug could have, any special requirements for taking the drug etc...

One last thing to note...I am in no way discrediting the expertise or professionalism of the medical staff. I think they are doing an incredibly amazing job considering the tough environment and inadequate funding the the health system receives. I am only asking and advising parents and caregivers to be vigilant, just like they would be with the kids at their own homes.

So have you had any pleasant or not-so-pleasant experiences when taking your kid to the hospital? Please drop a comment here so we can learn from your experiences.


The Baby Analyst.


Not a doctor; just a financial analyst who loves kids.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My journey into education and child development

Thinking about daycare? Tips on what to look out for - Part I

Toys - play safely